Forum > LCD TV forum

Faulty screens

(1/1)

call me al:
Hi folks,am coming across a lot of sets with screen issues.Faults are usually a blank screen or tv not powering up until screen is disconnected.Have read that this can sometimes be solved by blanking off some of the outputs of the tcon board.Am wondering are there any potential safety issues in this practice or is it a way to resolve the fault.Any advice much appreciated.thanks Al

downunder:
Greetings Al,
Shows how far the quality level of displays has sunk. There are several you tube videos on this tape method. Sure, it works sometimes but I have found it somewhat tedious finding the right pins to block. Can give acceptable results but the quality of the picture
is usually degraded a tad.
Of course, if you can determine which half of the panel is defective it narrows things down. Not always possible as some sets use only one flexie from the main board to panel, but with other sets you can disconnect the t-con to panel flexies individually. One scenario should produce half
a good screen. If the half you've disconnected is bad, and unplugging that good half and connecting the "bad" half will get you back to a blank screen.
If you've reached this point, first check the smd caps on the bottom driver board for shorts. Some Samsungs have a cluster of 6 or 8 diode packs at the extreme outer ends of the driver boards which sometimes short. These are microscopic 10 pin devices like dual in line ICs  D01, D02 etc. The centre pins (3 & 8) are common earth for the 8 encapsulated diodes. If you find one that has a shorted diode, simply desolder it and leave it out.
Hopefully this gives you some inkling.                  Bruce

call me al:
Hi Bruce ,great to here from you again and thanks for your info.It is a pity that the forum has become so quiet but thanks again for all your assistance.Al

downunder:

Hi Al, maybe a sign of economic times. Punters are hanging on to their dosh. The pollies will say it's the war in Ukraine. I'm on 2 other forums here in Oz - traffic has been dead for some months now.             Bruce

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version