Author Topic: Samsung PS58C7000 Clicks on PSU  (Read 7337 times)

sevciu

Samsung PS58C7000 Clicks on PSU
« on: January 23, 2020,09:00:07 »
For benefit of others, here is a repair scenario I've gone through today.
I got a Samsung plasma TV (PS58C7000YFXXY) for free with no image, no sound, just a series of 5 relay clicks (1 click per second or second and a half) when the TV was plugged in first time then no reaction after the 5 clicks. Practically there was no power supplied by PSU after the clicks. 
Playing with the connectors I found that when I unplug the power ribbon cable from the Logic Control Board, the relay on the power supply board makes only one click, and soon after that the Samsung starting sound played, like the TV wanted to start.  If the 6 wires ribbon cable was connected to the Logic Board, the 5 clicks would happen again with no effect after that. 
At this stage I nearly ordered a new Logic Board (BN96-14111A) off the internet, however I was having a bit of "intuition feeling" that PSU is actually faulty.
On your forum I found the method of testing PSU (BN44-00334A) without the Main Board and without the Logic Control Board connections. Practically I connected the PS-ON pin to GND through 100ohm resistor and the VS-ON pin to +5V via another 100 ohm resistor.  If only PS-ON was connected, the PSU would make only one relay click (probably entering Standby Mode ?).  As soon as the VS-ON was connected to +5V (via the resistor of course), the trouble started again. 

To cut it short, the problem was with a cold soldering point on one of the transformers.  I only found this after I removed the PSU from the chassis, and ran it on its own a number of times.  I was lucky the dusk came over my work and in one of the test runs I've seen a faint spark on the back of the board, at the transformer's pins, where the faulty connection was.  This "spark" event was happening randomly when the PSU was connected to main (most of the times, it wouldn't spark). 

Sure enough, once this was soldered back in place and everything was put back together, the TV started normally.
The only problem I have now is some pink-ish tint on predominantly white image, I believe that is due to incorrect VA, Vs, VSC or Ve voltages.
Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Sevciu

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
download